Border Police on Friday thwarted an attempt by approximately 30 Palestinian West Bank residents to infiltrate Israel through the seam route near the Nebi Samuel area, located just outside Jerusalem.

According to the Israel Police Spokesperson's Office, Border Police initially identified a suspicious vehicle transporting several individuals near the route. Upon investigation, it was discovered that the vehicle's driver, a 60-year-old Jerusalem resident, was assisting the Palestinians. The driver was subsequently detained for questioning by the Jerusalem Border Police's Investigations and Intelligence Division.

Meanwhile, additional suspects were located near the route. An initial field interrogation revealed that the suspects were attempting to attend Ramadan prayers at the Temple Mount.

Police keep worshipers safe during Temple Mount Ramadan prayers

Thousands of police officers and Border Police were deployed across Jerusalem on Friday, the first Friday of Ramadan, to ensure the safe arrival of worshippers at the Temple Mount. Under the command of Jerusalem District Commander Major General Avshalom Peled, the forces were tasked with overseeing security operations throughout the city, particularly at key points such as the Qalandiya crossing.

The coordinated effort aimed to maintain public order, facilitate smooth traffic flow, and ensure the safety of tens of thousands of worshippers attending the noon prayer at the Temple Mount. The prayer proceeded without incident, with extensive security measures in place.

Members of the Israeli border police stand guard as Palestinians make their way to the Temple Mount in Jerusalem's Old City to attend the first Friday prayers during the Muslim holy fasting month of Ramadan, February 20, 2026.
Members of the Israeli border police stand guard as Palestinians make their way to the Temple Mount in Jerusalem's Old City to attend the first Friday prayers during the Muslim holy fasting month of Ramadan, February 20, 2026. (credit: REUTERS/Mohammed Torokman)

Earlier in the day, a special situation assessment was held at the police point at the Western Wall, attended by Police Commissioner Major General Danny Levy, Major General Avshalom Peled, and other senior police officers. Following this, Minister of National Security MK Itamar Ben-Gvir joined the team for a subsequent situation briefing to finalize security preparations for the day’s events.

Jerusalem Police vow to maintain Temple Mount status quo during Ramadan

Jerusalem Police have deployed hundreds of officers throughout the capital with a focus on the Old City and the Temple Mount to ensure freedom of worship and public order during Ramadan, officials said.

Deputy Commander Arad Braverman said forces will be stationed around the clock at key sites, with larger deployments on Fridays to manage crowds and traffic. Authorities expect the government to approve about 10,000 entry permits for West Bank Palestinians to attend Friday prayers, depending on final decisions.

Police stressed there will be no change to the status quo on the Temple Mount, despite political rhetoric, and noted there will be no magnetometers at the site.

Officials also highlighted heightened monitoring of incitement and efforts to prevent disorder, including online misinformation, saying past attempts to spark unrest have been thwarted. Coordination with the Jerusalem Municipality, Magen David Adom, and the Islamic Waqf is ongoing to manage crowds and traffic safely.

Jerusalem District Commander Avshalom Peled said police are committed to safeguarding freedom of worship for all religions during the holy month.

Israeli activist group decries 'aggressive' Temple Mount policy

An Israeli activist group, Ir Amim, criticized what it called an “aggressive policy on the Temple Mount” ahead of Ramadan, warning that recent changes have undermined the status quo at the site.

The group said hundreds of thousands of Muslim worshippers are expected daily during the holy month and accused authorities of “violations,” such as allowing expanded Jewish prayer and other measures it says restrict Muslim access.

Ir Amim pointed to police data showing that the number of Muslim worshippers on the mount has declined significantly over the past decade, framing this as evidence of “systematic deterrence.”

The organisation urged the police and government to ease limitations on Muslim worshippers, reinstate previous restrictions on Jewish prayer at the compound, and consider closing the site to non‑Muslims during Ramadan’s final ten days.