Cobblestones commemorating murdered Jews stolen in Rome

Twenty cobblestones commemorating members of two Italian Jewish families who were deported to Auschwitz or killed in Rome were dug up and stolen.

By REUTERS
December 10, 2018 19:27
1 minute read.
Anti-semitism

Anti-semitism. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

ROME - Twenty cobblestones commemorating members of two Italian Jewish families who were deported to Auschwitz or killed in Rome were dug up and stolen in the early hours of Monday in an apparent anti-Semitic attack.

The bronze-capped cobblestones were embedded into the pavement outside a building in Rome's central Monti neighborhood that was home to the Di Consiglio and Di Castro families until World War Two.

Police said they were investigating the incident as a possible hate crime.

Asked about the incident at a news conference, deputy prime minister Matteo Salvini, who is also interior minister, said he would do everything to stop such acts of "repugnant anti-Semitism."

The cluster of stones commemorated 18 members of the Di Consiglio family and two from the Di Castro family. Fifteen were deported to Auschwitz in 1944 and died either there or in an unknown place.

The other five were among the 335 Italian men and boys, including 75 Jews, killed in the Ardeatine Caves outside Rome in March 1944 by occupying Nazis. They were murdered as a reprisal for the killing of 33 German policemen by partisans.

On Monday morning, a gaping hole remained where the stones were.


"This is beyond vandalism. This is a deliberate attempt to deface memory," said Ylenja Lucaselli, a parliamentarian of the of the right-wing Brothers of Italy party.

The writing on each stone started with the words "Here lived" followed by the name of the person, the date of deportation or arrest and the place and date of death, if known.

The project to place such stones throughout Europe where victims of the Holocaust either lived or worked was started by German artist Gunter Demning in 1992.

Adachiara Zevi, a Jewish community leader and head of the group that places the commemorative stones around Italy, said they are commonly known as "stumbling stones," because they are meant to provoke thought.

Last year, vandals damaged about 70 Jewish graves at Rome's main cemetery.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

May 26, 2019
British PM contender Dominic Raab has Jewish father who fled the Nazis

By TOVAH LAZAROFF