J'lem social justice rally canceled after terror attacks

Student Union vows social justice protest will continue after security events in South end; Likud MK Kara had called for protests to cease.

By JPOST.COM
August 18, 2011 16:53
1 minute read.
Young activists at tent city protests

Tent city protests. (photo credit: Marc Israel Sellem)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

The National Student Union on Thursday canceled a social justice rally planned to take place in Jerusalem outside of the Prime Minister's Office on Saturday night, following terror attacks near Eilat in which at least six people were killed.
               
"After consultations with the youth groups, social organizations and tent protest leaders involved in the rally it was decided to to cancel this coming weekend's protest events," the Student Union said in a statement.

RELATED:
Netanyahu promises Israeli response to Eilat attacks
Gallery: Aftermath of triple terror attack in South

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


The Student Union offered its condolences to the families of those killed in the attacks and wished those injured a swift recovery.

The statement added that following the conclusion of the security events in the South, the social protest would continue.

This will make Saturday night the first time in five weeks that the movement hasn't held a series of protests.


 Earlier on Thursday, MK Ayoub Kara (Likud) called for the tent protests to stop, following the terrorist attacks near Eilat.


"Security matters are once again the most pressing issue," Kara said. "We are far from being like Finland or Holland where social issues are most important."

He added: "If I were one of the architects of the protest, I would announce that all demonstrations are canceled until the Trajtenberg Committee announces its findings, out of identification with those injured in the south."

Kara warned that in the coming months "difficult events are sure to happen," and said Israel's priority should be defense.

The Likud MK singled out those who pitched their tents on Rothschild Street in Tel Aviv.

"Those protesters are all in the middle class – they're not in a crisis situation like the demonstrators in Beersheba or Kiryat Shmona," Kara explained. "When the country faces difficult situations, the middle class can put its protest on hold."

Click for full JPost coverage


JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
August 31, 2014
Prime minister to Channel 1: I’ll be running again in next election

By Gil Stern Stern HOFFMAN