Syria defers run for seat of UN Rights Council

Diplomats say Damascus and Kuwait will swap candidacies, will make bid for place on the council in 2013, Kuwait will run now.

By REUTERS
May 11, 2011 20:25
2 minute read.
UNHRC headquarters in Geneva

UNHRC headquarters 311 (R). (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

UNITED NATIONS - Syria, engaged in a violent crackdown against anti-government protesters, on Wednesday dropped its bid for a seat this year on the top UN human rights body, Syrian and Kuwaiti envoys said.

Syria told a closed meeting of Asian UN members it had agreed to swap candidacies with Kuwait, which was slated to run for the Human Rights Council in 2013, and drop out of the 2011 race, Kuwait's UN Ambassador Mansour Ayyad Alotaibi said.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
UN chief urges Syria to halt crackdown on unrest
Video: Syria continues armed campaign on Homs, five killed

"We agreed to exchange terms. We are not running against Syria. Syria is not withdrawing," he told reporters.

Syrian Ambassador Bashar Ja'afari denied that his government had been under pressure to pull out of the race for the Human Rights Council or that the decision was connected with events on the ground in Syria. He said his country would run for a three-year term on the rights council in 2013.

"It's based on the Syrian government's will to reschedule the timing of our candidacy ... based on reconsidering our priorities," Ja'afari said.

Under a prearranged deal among Asian states, which at the United Nations include Middle Eastern countries, Syria had been planning to run along with India, Indonesia and the Philippines for the four spots available to Asia on the 47-nation council.



Alotaibi said that Kuwait's agreement with Syria to exchange candidacies was unanimously endorsed by the members of the Asian group.

UN diplomats said that Western countries incensed at the Syrian crackdown, which has killed hundreds of civilians according to Syrian human rights groups, put heavy pressure on the Asian bloc to come up with another candidate.

Several diplomats in the Asian group said Syria had justified the swap by saying it would use the two-year delay to complete internal reforms promised by President Bashar Assad.

The 192-nation UN General Assembly will hold its annual elections for one third of the seats on the Geneva-based Human Rights Council on May 20.

The council is the main UN body charged with monitoring member states' compliance with international human rights norms. Critics say it spends too much time bashing Israel while ignoring violations by countries like Sri Lanka, Bahrain, China, Russia and others.

Related Content

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
August 31, 2014
Prime minister to Channel 1: I’ll be running again in next election

By Gil Stern Stern HOFFMAN