Israel's History- Picture of the day.
(photo credit: Frank M. Good)
Meah She'arim was established in 1874 during the same week that the verse from Genesis was read in the synagogue Torah reading. In 1890, the neighborhood was home to 800 residents in 200 buildings.
The demand for housing was so great that within three years another 100 homes were built and the population almost doubled. Adjacent neighborhoods, such as Batei Ungarin and the Bukharan Quarter, were built to handle the burgeoning Jewish population.
Each neighborhood contained its own marketplace full of stalls and
stores. Not too many years ago, shopkeepers in the Bukharan market were
still using their abacus to tally purchases.
with the exception of shoppers in Jerusalem's Machane Yehuda market, the
shopping habits of Jerusalemites have changed, and supermarket chains
now attract more and more consumers.
More photos can be viewed at http://www.israeldailypicture.com