(photo credit: Nick Koon/Orange County Register/MCT)
2 tablespoons oil
2 packages vegetarian “ground beef”
1 onion, diced
1 red pepper, diced
½ cup black olive rings
1 can (15 ounces) corn, drained
1 large can (29 ounces) diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 package corn tortillas
2 packages (8 ounces each) shredded cheddar cheese
guacamole and sour cream for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sauté meat and onion in oil until onion is soft, 5 to 10 minutes. Add red pepper and sauté for 3 minutes more.
2. Stir in olives and corn and diced tomatoes. Add chili powder and mix well. Remove from heat.
3. In a 9 x 13 baking dish, place half this mixture. Top with a thin layer of cheddar cheese(about 4 – 6 ounces) and then a layer of corn tortillas.
4. Cover this with the remaining “beef” mixture and then another layer of tortillas. Top the whole thing with the rest of the shredded cheddar.
5. Bake for about 45 minutes. Serve over rice with guacamole and sour cream.