Girl saved from viper bite after basketball practice

Dr. Shapiro says girl went into anaphylactic shock from the bite, needed urgent lifesaving measures including adrenalin injections.

By
December 5, 2012 21:19
1 minute read.
viper

viper, snake, cobra_311. (photo credit: Kaplan Medical Center)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

A 13-year-old girl who was bitten by a poisonous snake that caused a severe allergic reaction was saved on Monday night at Kaplan Medical Center in Rehovot.

The girl, Ziv Greenberg – a talented basketball player – was coming back home from sports practice when the viper bit her right leg.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Her blood pressure dropped dangerously and she was vomiting when she reached the emergency room. Doctors who succeeded in stabilizing her condition told the girl that the incident would not affect her leg movement and that she would soon be able to resume training.

Dr. Eli Shapiro, deputy head of the pediatric intensive care unit, said Greenberg went into anaphylactic shock from the bite and needed urgent lifesaving measures including injections of adrenaline.

Returning from basketball practice, Ziv walked on a bicycle path when the snake came out from bushes and bit her.”

She called for help, but when no one answered she ran home. Her brother called an ambulance in time. If she had waited half an hour, the case could have ended very badly, the doctors said.

Shapira said the viper bite was poisonous but that Greenberg’s severe allergic reaction was no less dangerous. In addition to serum against the toxin, she was treated for the allergy.



The snake was apparently moving to the spot it chose for hibernation through the winter.

In any case, said Shapira, if someone is bitten by a snake, he should be taken immediately to an emergency room.

Related Content

Lab
August 31, 2014
Weizmann scientists bring nature back to artificially selected lab mice

By JUDY SIEGEL-ITZKOVICH