objects in a colon? 370.
(photo credit: Kaplan Medical Center)
Doctors at Kaplan Medical Center in Rehovot thought they were opening a vending
machine when they removed eight coins and a necklace from a woman’s digestive
The married 32-year-old with personality problems had swallowed
them about two months ago.
Dr. Ehud Meltzer, head of the hospital’s
gastroenterological institute, said he had never encountered such a case before
and that it was amazing she had held the metallic coins in her body for so long
without them causing serious harm. They clearly presented a risk to her life and
health, he added.
The coins were shekel or two-shekel pieces, while the
necklace was metallic – all found in her colon.
The woman, who was
embarrassed by being discovered, suffered from stomach pains for weeks and a bad
feeling in general. The colonoscopy that was performed to remove the coins and
the necklace did not cause harm to her internal organs.
A scan showed
that the metallic foreign objects were situated at the opening of her appendix.
She was given a sedative, and the objects were pulled out of her
She was sent for an examination by a psychiatrist and
JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:
Meltzer said that foreign objects like this usually pass
out of the gastroenterological system naturally, but because there was a cluster
of them, they got stuck. They were rusty because of the amount of time they
remained inside, and they could have caused perforation of the
Meltzer warned parents to keep foreign objects away from
children, who can be at even greater danger because of their size. If such an
incident is suspected, one should rush to the nearest hospital emergency room,
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>