Oleander bush tempts, nearly kills baby

Jaffa mother rushes to hospital after her one-year-old son eats plant leaves, which are poisonous.

By
May 8, 2012 05:12
1 minute read.
Michal Simhovich, her son, Dr. Houri_370

Michal Simhovich, her son, Dr. Houri_370. (photo credit: Barak Nona/Wolfson Medical Center)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

With its pink, red or white flowers and bright green leaves, the oleander could look attractive, even for munching on, but when a one-year-old baby from Jaffa chewed some of the plant’s leaves this week, he ended up in the hospital.

The leaves of the oleander contain a very potent toxin that is used to make rat poison.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


The Simhovich family went on a family trip in the area. The baby boy, Hod Ariel, stretched out his arm and pulled at leaves and flowers from an oleander bush, putting some in his mouth. His mother Michal, who has a book on plant types at home, quickly recognized the bush as poisonous and rushed to Wolfson Medical Center in Holon – taking a sample of the leaves with them.

Dr. Zion Houri, the head of the pediatric intensive care unit, wasted no time and washed out the baby’s stomach.

He knew immediately that oleander contains a chemical similar to that in digoxin, a commonly used cardiology drug. In an overdose, it is potentially poisonous.

The baby was saved and will be discharged in a couple of days.

Michal urged parents to avoid toxic plants and not to let children close to species that may be harmful.



Oleander, which by law cannot be planted near educational institutions, grows up to three meters tall. The flower’s diameter is about five centimeters. Their aroma gets stronger at nightfall.

They can be identified by a deeply five-lobed fringed corolla around the central corolla tube. It doesn’t require much water and thrives even at traffic islands and at the side of roads. Most animals sense that it is toxic and stay away.

Related Content

Lab
August 31, 2014
Weizmann scientists bring nature back to artificially selected lab mice

By JUDY SIEGEL-ITZKOVICH