6 dead as Philippine troops battle Qaida-linked kidnappers

There was no word on the fate of the hostages - a Swiss, an Italian and a Filipino - held for more than two months.

By MANILA, PHILIPPINES
March 17, 2009 11:30
1 minute read.
6 dead as Philippine troops battle Qaida-linked kidnappers

Philippines Islamic separatists 224.88. (photo credit: AP)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Philippine marines clashed for a second day Tuesday with al-Qaida-linked militants holding three Red Cross workers hostage, killing at least six combatants and wounding 19 troops, officials said. There was no word on the fate of the hostages - a Swiss, an Italian and a Filipino - held for more than two months. The International Committee of the Red Cross expressed concern they could be hurt in a military rescue The fighting erupted Monday when Abu Sayyaf gunmen led by Albader Parad tried to break out of a loose cordon by government forces to box in dozens of militants and their hostages in hilly jungle near southern Jolo island's Indanan township. U.S. and Philippine officials have offered a reward for the capture or death of Parad, a young militant notorious for alleged involvement in past kidnappings and beheadings. Last month, Parad acknowledged on television that his group was holding the Red Cross workers. The military said Parad may have been wounded by marine snipers but there was no immediate confirmation. Fighting resumed Tuesday, killing three militants and three marines and wounding 19 troops, said military spokesman Brig. Gen. Gaudencio Pangilinan and Jolo Gov. Abdusakur Tan. Red Cross officials late Monday expressed worry that the hostages - Swiss Andreas Notter, Filipino Mary Jean Lacaba and Italian Eugenio Vagni - could be harmed by military efforts to free them. "Their safety is paramount. We repeat our call that no action should be taken that could put (their lives) in danger," Alain Aeschlimann, head of ICRC Southeast Asia-Pacific operations, said in a statement. The workers were kidnapped Jan. 15 after inspecting a Jolo jail water project. So far, military officials have refrained from a rescue operation to ensure their safety and allow local officials to negotiate their release. The Abu Sayyaf, however, has demanded the military back off from its stronghold before any negotiation. The government has rejected that. The Abu Sayyaf has about 400 members and is on a US list of terrorist organizations for its links with al-Qaida and involvement in kidnappings, bombings and beheadings. Officials say the guerrillas may have resorted to a rash of kidnappings to raise badly needed funds after they lost most connections to foreign financiers when many of their commanders were killed in US-backed offensives.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

70th Primetime Emmy Awards; The cast poses backstage with their Outstanding Comedy Series award
September 18, 2018
'Mrs. Maisel' takes home seven Emmy awards

By REUTERS