6 wounded in bomb attack in northeast India

By
March 16, 2007 11:56

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Suspected separatist rebels exploded a bomb in a crowded market in India's restive northeast on Friday, wounding six people and destroying three shops, police said. Police suspect the United Liberation Front of Asom, or ULFA, as being responsible for the attack in Gauhati, the capital of Assam state, said S. N. Singh, a senior police officer. The insurgents tied the explosives to a motorcycle in a busy market in the heart of Gauhati, Singh said. Friday's attack came as the ULFA observed "Army Day" commemorating the launch of its military wing in 1980. Also Friday, Paresh Baruah, the ULFA commander in chief, said a sovereign and independent Assam was the only solution to the region's problems. "There can be no peace dialogue with the Indian government unless our core demand of sovereignty is included in the agenda," Baruah said in a message e-mailed to journalists in Gauhati.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Spokesperson Heather Nauert (L) speaks as U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo
December 12, 2018
Effort to thwart Iranian missiles 'futile' so far, Pompeo says

By MICHAEL WILNER