British Airways says it lost 40 million pounds during airport terrorism alert

UK carrier canceled around 1,280 flights during the height of the alert.

By
September 5, 2006 17:22
1 minute read.
British Airways says it lost 40 million pounds during airport terrorism alert

british airways 88. (photo credit: )

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

British Airways PLC said Tuesday that the terrorism scare last month that grounded thousands of its flights cost the airline 40 million pounds (US$76 million; €59.13 million). The carrier said the extra expense came from lost revenues - it canceled around 1,280 flights during the height of the alert - and the cost of hotels, catering and baggage repatriation for passengers whose flights were canceled. The airline added that there has been some impact on forward bookings since the disruption, largely because of ongoing heightened security measures at Britain's airports. "The overall level of bookings has returned to levels experienced last year, but is still weaker than the trend of the past few months," BA said in a statement. "The recovery of premium and non-premium transfer traffic, for example, is lagging due to the limitations on carry-on baggage at London." BA is the first airline to reveal a cost estimate for the alert that crippled the country's airports last month. The trans-Atlantic route was the target of an alleged plot to blow up as many as 10 aircraft with liquid explosives that was revealed by the government on Aug. 10, sparking tough new security regulations that banned all hand luggage and increased passenger searches. Those measures have since been eased, but restrictions still apply on hand luggage - all liquids, including toiletries, remain banned.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

U.S. President Donald Trump and North Korea's leader Kim Jong Un sign documents that acknowledge the
December 16, 2018
Trump lowering pressure on N.Korea weakens negotiation position with Iran

By YONAH JEREMY BOB