Death sentence upheld for gunman in Mumbai attacks

Pakistani Ajmal Kasab, 22, is the lone surviving terrorist from the 2008 attacks which killed 166 people and derailed peace talks with Pakistan.

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
February 21, 2011 14:26
1 minute read.
Mumbai attack

Mumbai attack hotel on fire 311 AP. (photo credit: AP)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

MUMBAI, India  — An Indian appeals court Monday confirmed the conviction and death sentence for the only surviving gunman from the 2008 attacks on Mumbai, which killed 166 people and derailed peace talks with neighboring Pakistan.

"The crime is of enormous proportion," Justices Ranjana Desai and R.B. More said while rejecting the appeal by Ajmal Kasab, 22, of Pakistan, who challenged his conviction by a trial court in May. He had been found guilty of murder, waging war against India, conspiracy and terrorism.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
India, Pakistan agree to resume peace talks
Family of Mumbai terror victims sues Pakistan
India’s seat on Security Council and the Iranian dilemma


Kasab was one of 10 young Pakistanis who attacked two luxury hotels, a Jewish center and a busy train station in India's financial capital in November 2008.

A photograph of Kasab striding through Mumbai's main train station with an assault rifle in hand became the iconic image of the attacks.

"Kasab killed innocent people mercilessly. He displayed extreme perversity and never showed any remorse. He is a threat to the society," the judges said.

Kasab can still challenge the verdict in India's highest court, the Supreme Court, and later apply to the Indian government for clemency.



Such motions often keep convicts on death row for years, even decades. India's last execution — of a man convicted of the rape and murder of a schoolgirl — occurred in 2004.

India blamed the attacks on Pakistan-based militant groups. The attacks escalated tensions between the nuclear-armed rivals and prompted them to suspend peace talks.

Suspicions that Pakistan is not doing enough to bring the perpetrators to justice could hamper ties between India and Pakistan which early this month decided to revive peace talks after a gap of more than two years.

Related Content

German neo- Nazi during demonstration in Dortmund
August 16, 2018
Neo-Nazi yelled at by his dad during interview

By AMY SPIRO