Pakistan official says country at war

Interior Ministry chief says war against Islamic extremists will go on until country "terrorism-free."

By
October 3, 2008 11:25
1 minute read.
Pakistan official says country at war

Malik 224.88. (photo credit: AP)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Pakistan's war against Islamic extremists will go on until the country is "terrorism-free," a senior official said after mounting violence prompted the UN to raise its security stance. Pakistan is under intense US pressure to combat militants responsible for rising attacks at home and in neighboring Afghanistan. Its faltering efforts so far have been met with a blur of suicide bombings that have killed nearly 1,200 people since July 2007, according to army statistics released this week. In remarks broadcast Friday, Interior Ministry chief Rehman Malik said the government was undaunted. Previous Pakistani military campaigns against Islamic militants in the wild tribal belt along the Afghan frontier were halted too soon, he said, in an apparent reference to the policies of former President Pervez Musharraf. Malik said the current government, which came to power after February elections and forced Musharraf to resign in July, will fight until militants are either killed or forced to flee Pakistan. "There is no other option," Malik told Express News television. "We will not stop any operation unless we reach its logical conclusion. That means that this war will continue until we make Pakistan terrorism-free," he said. Pakistan's army is battling militants in at least three areas of the northwest. The most intense fighting has been in the Bajur tribal region, where the military claims to have killed 1,000 rebels for the loss of about 60 troops. Most recent suicide attacks have been in the northwest. A blast on Thursday killed four people in a failed bid to assassinate a prominent anti-Taliban politician in the region. There have also been several attacks in the capital, Islamabad, including the Sept. 20 truck bombing of the Marriott Hotel, which killed 54 people, including three Americans and the Czech ambassador. The UN reacted to that blast on Thursday by ordering the children of its international staff out of the city - putting it on a par with trouble spots such as Kabul and Mogadishu. It insisted the move was temporary and would not affect its operations. Britain announced Wednesday it was repatriating its diplomats' children, and other countries may follow suit. Pakistan has long been a non-family posting for US diplomatic staff.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Supporters of Lebanon's Hezbollah leader Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah carry pictures of Hezbollah's late
July 18, 2019
Argentina takes step closer to naming Hezbollah a terrorist group

By JTA STAFF

Cookie Settings