Quake hits off Philippines; tsunami alert cancelled

Philippines maintains warning to coastal residents who seek higher ground following 7.6 magnitude earthquake.

By REUTERS
August 31, 2012 18:58
1 minute read.
Seismology agency office in the Philippines

Seismology agency office in the Philippines 370 (R). (photo credit: Cheryl Ravelo / Reuters)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For a symbolic $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Don't show it again

MANILA - An earthquake of 7.6 magnitude struck off the Philippines on Friday damaging roads and bridges and sending people fleeing to higher ground in fear of a tsunami, a politician and authorities said.

The quake was centered off the east coast, 91 miles (146 km) off the town of Guiuan in Samar province at a depth of about 20 miles (32 km), the US Geological Survey said.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center issued a warning for much of the region, but cancelled it about two hours later.

However, Philippine authorities maintained their tsunami warning after ordering residents to get out of coastal areas immediately.

"We are in a wait and see situation, some bridges and roads were damaged and people panicked and are now on higher ground," Samar congressman, Ben Evardone, told local radio.

There were no immediate reports of casualties, said the head of the national disaster agency, Benito Ramos.

Large parts of Samar and Leyte province had no power or internet connections.



"The only lights you see are from vehicles in the streets headed to higher ground," said a radio reporter in the town of Borongan.

The tsunami warning was initially issued for the Philippines, Japan, Indonesia, Taiwan, Papua New Guinea and other islands in the Pacific including the US state of Hawaii.

Small waves of about 16 cm (6 inches) had hit a southern Philippine island, the seismology agency said, and warned that bigger ones could follow.

Renato Solidum, head of the agency, said residents should get to a 10-metre elevation until the tsunami alert was lifted.

The region has been hit by two huge quakes in the past decade. At least 230,000 people in 13 Indian Ocean countries were killed in a quake and tsunami off Indonesia in 2004.

Last year, an earthquake and tsunami off Japan's northeastern coast killed about 20,000 people and triggered the world's worst nuclear crisis in 25 years after waves battered a nuclear power station.


Related Content

Israel soccer
June 24, 2018
Israeli soccer fans harassed at World Cup in Moscow

By JTA