US sees credible but unconfirmed Sept. 11 terror threat

As 10th anniversary of terror attacks approaches, US officials say "unconfirmed" threat appears connected to Washington, NY.

By REUTERS
September 9, 2011 02:58
1 minute read.
World Trade Center on September 11, 2001

World Trade Center on September 11, 2001 (R). (photo credit: REUTERS/Sara K. Schwittek)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

WASHINGTON - The United States has credible but unconfirmed information about a possible terrorism threat surrounding the 10th anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, US officials told Reuters on Thursday.

The threat appeared connected to Washington and New York City, but other cities could not be ruled out.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
Yalla Peace: Osama bin Laden’s message
US report warns of al-Qaida terror threat to utility plants

US officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, used strong caveats when discussing the threat information privately, with one saying, "The context is still forming."

One US national security official said experts thought it was likely the threat information would ultimately not check out. The official stressed the threat was definitely "unconfirmed."

The US Department of Homeland Security, which said only last week that there was no credible information that al-Qaida was plotting an attack around the Sept. 11 anniversary, confirmed the new threat assessment.

"It's accurate that there is specific, credible but unconfirmed threat information," spokesman Matt Chandler said.



Still, he added that the United States "always" gets threat reporting before important dates like the anniversary of the September 11, 2001, attacks.

"Sometimes this reporting is credible and warrants intense focus, other times it lacks credibility and is highly unlikely to be reflective of real plots under way," he said.

"Regardless, we take all threat reporting seriously, and we have taken, and will continue to take all steps necessary to mitigate any threats that arise."

Related Content

U.S. President Donald Trump receives a football from Russian President Vladimir Putin
July 20, 2018
Trump invites Putin to Washington despite U.S. uproar over Helsinki summit

By REUTERS