Watchdog group: 2007 2nd deadliest year for news media worldwide

By
December 18, 2007 04:02

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

A media watchdog group said Monday that 64 journalists in 17 countries have died while covering the news in 2007 - making it the deadliest year in more than a decade. The Committee to Protect Journalists said in an annual report that Iraq led the list for the fifth year in a row with 31 dead. That is one fewer than a year ago. Somalia was second with seven dead in 2007, and Pakistan and Sri Lanka each recorded five deaths. The global figure of 64 was an increase of eight over the previous year and two short of the record 66 set in 1994, when strife ripped Algeria, Bosnia and Rwanda. The New York-based committee said it was still investigating 22 other cases from 2007 to determine if they were "work-related." Murder reached its peak in Iraq, where most of the 124 reporters, photographers and editors, and 49 other news employees killed since the US invasion in 2003, were slain after being abducted.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Spokesperson Heather Nauert (L) speaks as U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo
December 12, 2018
Effort to thwart Iranian missiles 'futile' so far, Pompeo says

By MICHAEL WILNER