Possible breakthrough in Iran-UK dispute

CBS: For sailors' release, UK will apologize for incident, won't admit breach.

By AP, JPOST.COM STAFF
April 4, 2007 03:20
3 minute read.
jpost services and tools

jp.services2. (photo credit: )

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Great Britain and Iran have exchanged diplomatic documents outlining the terms of a deal to resolve the dispute over the 15 British sailors held in Iran for allegedly trespassing into Iranian waters, CBS News reported on Wednesday. According to the report, in return for the release of the sailors and marines, the British government would say it regrets the incident and will make sure it doesn't happen again, but will not admit its personnel violated Iranian waters.

  • Syria says it's mediating in UK-Iran row
  • Once Britain ruled the waves. Now Iran does Earlier, Prime Minister Tony Blair's office said British officials spoke for the first time to Iran's chief international negotiator about the seized sailors, calling for direct bilateral talks to end the 12-day-old dispute. In a statement Tuesday, Blair's Downing Street office said "both sides share a desire for an early resolution of this issue through direct talks." Hours after Foreign Secretary Margaret Beckett cautioned against expecting a swift resolution to the crisis, Downing Street struck an upbeat note, announcing there had been "further contacts" between the two countries, including with chief negotiator Ali Larijani. "On the basis of these, the prime minister believes that both sides share a desire for an early resolution of this issue through direct talks," Blair's office said. "The prime minister remains committed to resolving this by diplomatic means. The UK has proposed direct bilateral discussions and awaits an Iranian response on when these can begin." Blair said earlier Tuesday that the next 48 hours would be "fairly critical" to resolving the standoff over the British personnel, who have been held by Iran since March 23. Earlier, Beckett told reporters that intense diplomatic efforts were continuing, but urged people "to be cautious in assuming that we are likely to see a swift resolution to this issue." Beckett said Britain still had not been granted consular access to the eight captive sailors and seven marines, who were detained in disputed Persian Gulf waters. Blair sounded a tougher note earlier Tuesday, warning that Britain would "take an increasingly tougher position" if diplomatic moves did not yield results. Beckett stressed that Blair was not talking about military action. "He is not talking or attempting to imply anything about military action. We are not seeking confrontation," she said. "We are seeking to resolve this through diplomatic channels." New pictures of the sailors and marines were published Tuesday by the Iranian news agency Fars. The still images appeared to show members of the naval crew chatting, smiling and playing chess in casual tracksuits. It was not immediately clear if publication of the stills, apparently taken from a video, was a breach of Teheran's earlier suggestion that no more footage of the sailors would be broadcast because of "positive changes" in Britain's negotiating stance. Britain's Foreign Office said it was not clear if the images were old. "If they want to resolve this in a diplomatic way the door is open," Blair told Scotland's Real Radio, saying the "next 48 hours will be fairly critical." Beckett said Britain was still awaiting an official response to a note it sent to Iran, following an official letter sent by the Iranians calling for Britain to avoid such situations in the future. But she said there was "a huge amount going on behind the scenes," saying Foreign Office minister Lord Triesman was meeting the Iranian ambassador Tuesday for the eighth time in 10 days. The British personnel were captured by Iranian forces in the Persian Gulf on March 23 while patrolling for smugglers near the mouth of the Shatt al-Arab, a waterway that has long been a disputed dividing line between Iraq and Iran. Teheran says the crew was in Iranian waters. Britain insists its troops were in Iraqi waters working under a UN mandate.

    Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

  • Related Content

    Bushehr nuclear Iranian
    August 5, 2014
    Iran and the bomb: The future of negotiations

    By YONAH JEREMY BOB