"Development" reported in 1998 Jerusalem teen murder case

Noa Eyal was last seen on a late February night in 1998 and later found raped and murdered in a forest.

October 29, 2014 17:03
1 minute read.
Crime scene [illustrative]

Crime scene [illustrative]. (photo credit: INGIMAGE)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

A cold case that has bedeviled Jerusalem homicide detectives may be closer to being solved, according to a development in the investigation that was cleared for publication on Wednesday.

While the specifics of the development are under a gag order, the Jerusalem Magistrate’s Court allowed for the publication of the phrase “Jerusalem police have announced that there is a development in the 1998 murder of Noa Eyal in Jerusalem.”

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

Eyal, 17, was last seen on a late February night in 1998, after she and her friend Eldad Bribrom had left a movie theater in downtown Jerusalem.

Bribrom walked her to a bus stop at Davidka Square, and later told detectives that from the window of the bus he saw Eyal run to a different bus than the one she was waiting for. A cabdriver downtown at the time later told police that he saw a girl getting into a white car, believed to be a Ford Escort, with tinted windows and several bumper stickers on the back, including one for the Golani Brigade.

In the more than 15 years since the girl was found raped and murdered in a forest in the Ramot neighborhood, police have interviewed hundreds of witnesses, used satellite technology to canvass the murder scene, and spent countless man hours tracking down leads. Other than a DNA sample taken from the murder scene, there is little known evidence that has been published.

On Wednesday, a representative of Eyal’s family sent out a statement saying they are very excited and nervous about the reports and that “we call for supporting the police and allowing them to do their work thoroughly so that the truth will see the light of day.”

Related Content

Israeli flag
August 16, 2018
Israelis emigrating? Lowest number in nearly three decades