Child safety org.: 14 kids electrocuted since 2008

Nine of those fatally injured were Arabs, said Beterem director Orly Silbinger, who noted that for several years, it has been warning of the link between children from poorer families and deaths from accidents.

By
December 7, 2014 22:10
1 minute read.
Electric poles

Electric poles. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Fourteen children have died of electrocution during the past six years, according to Beterem, the Israel National Center for Child Safety and Health, following the death by electrocution last week of a 12-year-old Negev Beduin boy.

The youngster, whom a friend dared to climb an electric poll, touched live wires, was severely burned and fell seven meters, leaving him with extensive injuries from which he did not recover.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Nine of those fatally injured were Arabs, said Beterem director Orly Silbinger, who noted that for several years, it has been warning of the link between children from poorer families and deaths from accidents. “There are kids who have no games, computers or playgrounds, so they look for other challenging activities,” she explained.

Of the 16 who were electrocuted since 2008, four were Jewish; the background of the 14th was not reported.

Fifty-seven percent of the cases occurred in and around the home, while the rest were in public spaces. Nearly eight out of 10 victims were boys.

Statistically most electrocutions occurred between the ages of 10 and 14, with five deaths, and three deaths in the 15-to-17 age group. At least seven in 10 were killed by an electrical device. According to Beterem, a Beduin child is 12 times more at risk of being electrocuted than a Jewish child.

A previous case of death by electrocution of a Beduin boy involved a 13-year-old who was burnt all over his body after he touched a high-power line near his home. A 10-yearold from a Beduin village was also killed when he touched an exposed electrical cable on his roof. A 16-year-old working at a construction site near Tiberias was electrocuted and died in the Italian Hospital in Nazareth.



It also happens to Jewish girls – a 10-year-old from Kfar Saba was fatally electrocuted in the shower of her family’s Amidar home. It was renovated three years before, but there was no grounding in the bath or automatic cutoff in the event of an “electricity leak,” Beterem said.

The girl touched a faucet and was killed instantly.

A five-year-old boy in Kiryat Motzkin died in a baby pool in the Gali Gil country club when he touched the water after an electric “mushroom” device that sprays water short circuited.

Related Content

August 21, 2018
‘Foxtrot,’ ‘Longing’ get European Film Award nods

By AMY SPIRO