Jerusalem doctors save 5-year-old who choked on piece of his Purim costume

Doctors managed to remove little metal bell that disconnected from child's Purim costume and entered his gastrointestinal system.

By
March 8, 2015 16:32
1 minute read.
Jerusalem

Little metal bell swallowed by five-year-old boy in Jerusalem. (photo credit: SHAARE ZEDEK MEDICAL CENTER)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

A five-year-old Jerusalem boy was saved last week at Shaare Zedek Medical Center when doctors managed to remove a little metal bell that disconnected itself from his Purim costume and entered his gastrointestinal system.

The boy, from the Armon Hanatziv neighborhood, was playing with the costume, which had a number of bells sewed on to it. One became detached from the cloth, and he swallowed it.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


The parents, who witnessed this, took him immediately to the Terem urgent care clinic in Arnona. An x-ray showed the bell was stuck in his esophagus.

He was referred to SZMC, where Prof. Dan Turner, head of the pediatric gastrointestinal department, said it was a very rare case, as the metal piece got stuck in the mucous membrane of the food tube. It became swollen and couldn’t move toward the stomach.

Emergency room doctors attached a clip to try to prevent perforation of the membrane, and a surgical team arrived. They managed over several hours to remove the bell, and surgery was not required, nor was significant damage caused.

Children swallowing foreign objects is not rare, said Turner.

“One must prevent small children from getting near them, especially on events like Purim, when they are exposed to unusual objects connected to the festival,” he concluded.

Related Content

Soldiers gather around car crash site in Havat Gilad, 2018
August 17, 2018
Israeli woman killed in hit-and-run near Havat Gilad outpost

By TOVAH LAZAROFF