Netanyahu vows to build new West Bank housing following terror attack

“Tomorrow, we will begin building 840 housing units in Ariel in a new neighborhood as was approved two years ago.”

By
March 19, 2019 11:54
1 minute read.

Netanyahu vows to build new West Bank housing following terror attack, March 18, 2019 (Reuters)

Netanyahu vows to build new West Bank housing following terror attack, March 18, 2019 (Reuters)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Israel will begin building 840 housing units in Ariel, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Monday in the aftermath of the terrorist attack near the West Bank city the day before.

Speaking Monday during a visit to the Ariel Junction where two people were killed, the prime minister insisted that terrorist attacks would not persuade Israel to withdraw from the region, but would rather lead to increased settlement activity.

“Tomorrow, we will begin building 840 housing units in Ariel in a new neighborhood as was approved two years ago,” said Netanyahu, who was accompanied by Ariel Mayor Eli Shaviro and the commander of IDF Central Command, Nadav Padan.

“These terrorists will not uproot us from here, the total opposite will happen. The more they afflict us, the more we will grow and flourish,” Netanyahu said. “Our power is tremendous.”

Shaviro thanked Netanyahu for his visit and for his statement about construction.

The project had been given a green light before Sunday’s attack, and the infrastructure work had been scheduled to begin on Tuesday.

The city plans to hold a cornerstone-laying ceremony on Tuesday with former Housing and Construction Minister Yoav Gallant.


Hagit Ofran of the Left-wing group Peace Now, which monitors such construction and often opposes it, noted on Twitter that the project was not new and could not be seen as a response to the terrorist attack.

The project and the tenders were approved two years ago, and it was scheduled to be built now, “but it is a shame” the building is happening, she said.

The city of some 20,000 residents is the fourth largest settlement in the West Bank and is within commuting distance to the Center.

The project, called “Ariel South,” expands the city and had been delayed until this year.

The bulk of the units are part of Finance Minister Moshe Kahlon's affordable housing program and will be available to young couples at reasonable prices.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Emtanis Shihadeh of UAL-Balad
April 25, 2019
Meet the new MK: Emtanis Shihadeh of UAL-Balad

By LAHAV HARKOV