US angry over new Israeli settlement activity

The State Department said the move constitutes "activity that is systematically undermining the prospects for a two-state solution."

By
July 28, 2016 01:25
1 minute read.
gilo

Jerusalem neighborhood of Gilo. (photo credit: Wikimedia Commons)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

PHILADELPHIA -- The United States expressed anger on Wednesday over a recent announcement of settlement tenders in East Jerusalem, following another announcement earlier in the week on building in Gilo.

"We strongly oppose settlement activity, which is corrosive to the cause of peace," the State Department said. "These steps by Israeli authorities are the latest examples of what appears to be a steady acceleration of settlement activity that is systematically undermining the prospects for a two-state solution."

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Reports indicate 323 units are planned for East Jerusalem and 770 for Gilo.

"In just the past few weeks, we have seen reports of the advancement of plans for 531 units in Ma’ale Adumim, 19 in Har Homa, 120 in Ramot, and 30 in Pisgat Ze’ev; the advancement of a plan to retroactively legalize an outpost near Ramallah; and the issuance of tenders for 42 units in Kiryat Arba," the statement reads, reiterating "strong opposition" from the US and the international community to the moves.

"We are also concerned about recent increased demolitions of Palestinian structures in the West Bank and East Jerusalem, which reportedly have left dozens of Palestinians homeless, including children," the statement from State Department spokesman John Kirby continues.

"More than 650 Palestinian structures have been demolished this year, with more Palestinian structures demolished in the West Bank and East Jerusalem thus far than in all of 2015."

Kirby pointed to a recent report out of the Middle East Quartet, which says that Israel's continued settlement activity would soon create a one-state reality he characterized as "perpetual occupation and conflict."

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


"We remain troubled that Israel continues this pattern of provocative and counterproductive action, which raises serious questions about Israel's ultimate commitment to a peaceful, negotiated settlement with the Palestinians," he added.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

September 23, 2018
Hamas halts cease-fire talks, blames Abbas

By HAGAY HACOHEN