Remand extended for suspect in death of baby at Israeli preschool

Rescue services who rushed to the scene after the baby didn't wake up from her afternoon nap.

May 24, 2018 13:16
Traffic police

Israel police.. (photo credit: YEHONATAN SABBAN)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


The Petah Tikva Magistrate’s Court on Thursday extended the remand of one of three suspects questioned in connection with the death of a one-year-old girl at a preschool in Petah Tikva last week.

According to local reports, the staff tried to wake the baby from her afternoon nap and when she didn’t wake up, they called rescue services who rushed to the scene and tried to resuscitate her. The baby was evacuated to Schneider Children’s Medical Center where doctors pronounced her dead.

Police arrested three members of staff from the preschool and released two of them under restrictive conditions, including five days of house arrest.

The court extended the remand of the third suspect by five days.

In a separate incident last week, a five-month-old boy was brought to Schneider Children’s Medical Center for medical tests where it was found he had a broken arm. The medical team reported its findings and police opened an investigation into the incident.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet
March 21, 2019
Denmark, Austria, UK, Australia to oppose anti-Israel resolutions at UNHRC