Convict visits son hurt in terror attack

Ofer Gamliel, serving 15 yrs for bomb plot, escorted to hospital in handcuffs; PM vows to fight terror.

April 3, 2009 14:38


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

The IDF was still hunting Friday for the ax-wielding terrorist who infiltrated the Bat Ayin settlement earlier in the day - killing Shlomo Nativ, 13, and fracturing the skull of Yair Gamliel, seven. Meanwhile, Yair's father, Ofer Gamliel, serving a 15-year jail sentence for a failed bomb plot against an Arab girls school in east Jerusalem, was let out of prison Friday in order to visit him. Yair was recovering in Hadassah University Hospital in Jerusalem's Ein Kerem. His condition had improved since Thursday and it was upgraded to light. On Thursday, Ofer refused to leave the Ayalon Prison since the Israel Prisons Service (IPS) rejected his request to be let out in civilian clothes and without a guard. However, on Friday, Gamliel accepted the IPS conditions and was escorted to the hospital hand-cuffed and in prison garb. Thursday's attack came less than 48 hours after Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu took office with a right-wing government that has promised to take a harsher stance against Palestinian violence, and on Friday, Netanyahu telephoned Shlomo's parents, Ravital and Haim Nativ, to express his condolences for the loss of their son. Netanyahu vowed to the bereaved parents that Israel would fight terror with all its might.

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town