Laughing Gas 311.
(photo credit: Channel 10 News)
The senseless deaths of two 18-year-old cousins after inhaling laughing gas from
a stolen cylinder has shocked local communities in the Kiryat Malachi
Omer Tzur of Moshav Nir Banim and Avishai Klomax of Moshav Orot
were found dead early Saturday morning by paramedics in a field near
Police said they died after inhaling the gas at a high
concentration from a cylinder that had been stolen from a dentist’s clinic by
Officers recovered a large gas cylinder from a vehicle
parked in the field nearby.
Another cousin who had also inhaled the gas
felt unwell and called a number of his friends for help. The friends arrived at
the scene and contacted emergency services.
Magen David Adom paramedics
tried to resuscitate the two youths, before pronouncing them dead. The third
cousin was lightly to moderately injured.
Police in Kiryat Malachi said
two soldiers serving in combat units allegedly stole the gas from a dentist’s
clinic in Kfar Warbug several weeks ago, and either sold or gave the cylinder to
The soldiers were arrested on Saturday, and later
Earlier this year, Shamai Golan, spokesman for the Anti-Drugs
Authority, told The Jerusalem Post that it was parents’ responsibility to warn
their children against abusing legal industrial substances.
“This is not
a matter for police or social workers. It’s up to the parents to be aware of
what their children are doing,” he said.
According to a poll conducted by the Anti-Drugs
Authority in 2009, 14 percent of all children aged 12 to 18 admitted to abusing
industrial substances such as air-conditioning gas and glue.
Two to three
youths on average die every year after inhaling air-conditioning gas, losing
their balance, and falling from a height.