Evacuees ask Bassi to stay in Sela

'Settlers' rehabilitation just begun, will be set back by Bassi's departure'

By JPOST.COM STAFF
February 8, 2006 10:16
1 minute read.
yonatan bassi walking with guards holding folder 2

bassi walking 298.88. (photo credit: Ariel Jerozolimski )

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

The settlers who were evacuated from Gush Katif during August's disengagement wrote a surprising letter to Acting Prime Minister Ehud Olmert on Wednesday requesting he leave Yonatan Bassi as the head of the Disengagement Authority (Sela). Bassi's tenure is expected to end in May. Bassi, himself a religious Zionist, was disliked, to say the least, by many settlers during the summer withdrawal. He was perceived as the man enforcing the government's evacuation decision. Although the letter explains the reasons behind the settlers' refusal to make contact with any government representative, including Bassi, before the disengagement, it appears to express regret over the estrangement. In a joint interview with Bassi on Army Radio, Lior Kalfa, formerly the head of the Neve Dekalim Council, said that the settlers' rehabilitation had only just begun and that the process would be set back if Bassi were to leave Sela. Bassi refused to say whether he would leave his job, saying he would only decide after meeting with Olmert. However, he said that while the job required two more years, he did not intend to stay that long. The Disengagement Authority head insisted that he was not in charge of the disengagement itself, rather, his job was to provide the evacuees housing and employment solutions and any other assistance they required. He noted that the authority had been finding new employment for 150 settlers every week. However, Kalfa said that there were still 1,400-1,500 former residents of the Gaza Strip and northern Samaria who were unemployed. He added that 190 families still lived in hotels, the Elei Sinai evacuees resided in tents at Kibbutz Yad Mordechai and the Atzmona residents were tentatively housed near Netivot.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town

By SHARON UDASIN