Four arrested in clashes over Modi’in Illit home demolition

By
May 7, 2010 02:44
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Police arrested four minors from the settlement of Modi’in Illit on Thursday following clashes with security forces who had arrived to demolish three homes built in violation of the 10-month moratorium on new settlement construction.

Police who accompanied the civil administration crew said a crowd had gathered around the security forces and prevented them from leaving.

When Judea and Samaria police officers attempted to restore order, police added, officers were attacked by four minors.

The four were arrested for assaulting police officers.

However, one young man from the area who was at the scene said that the opposite was true. He alleged that the officers had brutally attacked residents who had raced to the scene to try and prevent the destruction of the three homes, which were located in a neighborhood on the outskirts of the settlement.


Raphael Asara, who represents one of the homeowners, said that the site was authorized for construction and that the foundation had been laid prior to the start of the moratorium on November 26.

No demolition orders or stop-work orders had been issued to the family, he said.

The family learned of the civil administration’s presence from a Palestinian contractor who called them. They came to the site with all their documents, but were not able to avert the destruction of the home.

Asara said the family was weighing a lawsuit against the civil administration.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town

By SHARON UDASIN