MDA issues Pessah nut allergy warning after girl nearly dies

By JPOST.COM STAFF
March 31, 2009 11:42

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Magen David Adom issued a warning Tuesday to all those with nut allergies to carefully check the ingredients in Pessah cookies and cakes. The warning came a day after a 16-year-old Kiryat Shmona girl accidentally ate a chocolate cookie containing peanuts and nearly died. The girl's mother said she had bought the kosher for Passover cookies for the upcoming holiday and had put them in her kitchen. However, her daughter apparently couldn't wait and didn't check the ingredients, which stated that the cookies contained peanuts. She suffered a severe allergic reaction and lost consciousness. An MDA team carried out resuscitation efforts at the home before evacuating the girl to Ziv Hospital in Safed, and on her way to the hospital, she started to regain consciousness. MDA also recounted another similar case that occurred on Monday night in the Tel Aviv area, when a 14-year-old English girl, who didn't understand the Hebrew ingredients, ate a cake containing peanuts and suffered an allergic reaction, including breathing difficulties and a large rash. She was evacuated to Wolfson Hospital in light-to-moderate condition.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town

By SHARON UDASIN