So that's why they call them 'doggie bags'

Leftovers from Galilee wedding send guests to hospital.

By
August 4, 2009 21:32
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Getting your money's worth by packing up leftovers from a wedding you attended is not always a bargain. Nine children and three women from a village in the Galilee who attended the celebration Sunday ended up Monday evening at the emergency room at Western Galilee Government Hospital in Nahariya with diarrhea, fierce stomachache and vomiting. Seven of the children and two of the women had to be hospitalized for observation. They were diagnosed with food poisoning tracked back to the "doggie bags" taken and eaten at home. Amil Aga, epidemiological supervisor at the hospital, reached the conclusion that the leftovers had been left outside rather than in refrigeration for several hours until the extended family got home. Hospital director-general Dr. Masad Barhoom warned people that during the hot summer months, store raw and prepared food under proper conditions to reduce the risk of food poisoning. Meanwhile, Hillel Yaffe Medical Center in Hadera reported that a seven-year-old boy was treated in the emergency room after being "stabbed" with a pen near his anus. The boy, who lives near Hadera, was attacked by a nine-year-old neighbor. He was treated and hospitalized overnight for observation to ensure that he would not develop an infection. If the pen had entered the anus and rectum, a tragedy could have occurred. Dr. Adi Klein, head of pediatrics, and Dr. Zvi Steiner, the director of pediatric surgery, said that behavior by some children has become more violent and with a lack of honor for peers. "We suggest that parents pay attention to what their children are doing during the school vacation and supervise their play," they said.

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town

By SHARON UDASIN