Suspect named in Ramle student death

Yeshiva student death su

October 14, 2009 10:14
1 minute read.


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

The suspect in the death of Yiftah Mor-Yosef, the 17-year-old yeshiva student killed by a stray bullet during a drive-by shooting in Ramle in August, was named by a court Wednesday as Nir Haziza, 24, from Holon. Mor-Yosef was sitting on a public bench next to 36-year-old underworld figure Einav Cohen - the intended target - and sustained a gunshot wound to the head during the shooting. It was also revealed Wednesday that Cohen, who is recovering at Assaf Harofeh Hospital in Tzrifin from serious gunshot wounds sustained in the shooting, was the one who revealed that Haziza tried to kill him. The suspect's remand was extended by five days Wednesday at a court hearing, during which a pre-indictment affidavit was submitted. Shachar Hatzroni, Haziza's attorney, denied his client was involved in the attack. Rachel Mor-Yosef, the victim's mother, said in an interview with Army Radio on Wednesday that, "the developments in the case don't make things easier on me but rather make it more difficult to deal with the grief." In the August 5 incident, Haziza and an accomplice allegedly arrived at Bar-Ilan Street riding a motorcycle and opened fire at Cohen, who was sitting on a bench. The two then fled the scene. Mor Yosef, who was sitting with friends, was hit in the head, and although doctors at Assaf Harofeh battled to save his life for several hours, he succumbed to his wounds early the following morning.

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town