Suspected bus memorial vandals released to house arrest

Damage done a day before haredi mob pickets J’lem burger joint for selling hametz on Pessah.

April 6, 2010 03:57
1 minute read.
bus 18 memorial

bus 18 memorial 311. (photo credit: Ariel Jerozolimski/The Jerusalem Post)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


The last two of five haredi men who were arrested over the weekend on suspicion of vandalizing a Jerusalem monument were released to house arrest on Monday night, police said.

Late Saturday night, police saw the group of men uprooting the monument, which sits on the corner of Jaffa and Nordau streets near the central bus station and was built as a memorial for the victims of a February 1996 bombing attack on the No. 18 bus.

While the group succeeded in removing the monument from the sidewalk, the memorial plaque that lists the names of those killed in the attack was not damaged, and the monument was returned to its place.

Both the suspects released on Monday, and the other three suspects, who were released to house arrest on Sunday evening, refused to explain their actions to investigators.

The Jerusalem Magistrate’s Court released the final two suspects on condition that they be banished from the capital for 30 days and refrain from participating in protests for half a year.

Police said that indictments have been issued against all of the suspects.

Meanwhile Sunday, a group of some 70 haredi men demonstrated outside of Iwo Burger on Jerusalem’s Hillel Street, because the eatery sells leavened bread, or hametz, during Pessah.

The demonstration, which was dispersed peacefully, marks the third year in a row that the burger restaurant has been targeted during the holiday.

Police arrived and began dispersing the protesters after they prevented employees from entering the restaurant and tore down signs.

Under Israel’s Hametz Law, merchants are not permitted to display a hametz product for sale in public.

A judge in 2007 ruled that the burger restaurant, as well as four others, did not violate the law by selling hametz since it was done inside the establishments and was not visible from the street.

JTA contributed to this report.

Now is the time to join the news event of the year - The Jerusalem Post Annual Conference!
For more information and to sign up,
click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town


Cookie Settings