The country's most feared terror group warned foreign diplomats to flee Iraq after announcing it will put to death two kidnapped Moroccan Embassy employees.
The warning Friday came in a statement posted on an Islamist Web site in the name of al-Qaida in Iraq, which also claimed responsibility for the July kidnap-slaying of two envoys from Algeria and one from Egypt as well as the abduction and beheading of many foreign hostages.
On Thursday, another Internet statement attributed to al-Qaida said the two Moroccans had been condemned to death. There was no indication Friday that they had been killed.
"We are renewing our threat to those so-called diplomatic missions who have insisted on staying in Baghdad and have not yet realized the repercussions of such a challenge to the will of the mujahedeen," Friday's statement said. "Let them know that there is no difference in our judgment between the head of a diplomatic mission and the lowest-level employee."