Attack on Syrian security forces in Homs kills 42

The jihadist rebel alliance Tahrir al-Sham said in a social networking post that five suicide bombers had carried out the attack but it stopped short of explicitly claiming responsibility.

By REUTERS
February 25, 2017 12:35
1 minute read.
Aleppo, Syria

People stand near near rubble of damaged buildings in the northern Aleppo countryside in Syria in December 2016. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

BEIRUT - Militants attacked two Syrian security offices in the western city of Homs on Saturday with guns and suicide bombers, killing at least 42 people including a senior officer, a war monitor said.

The attackers killed the head of military security and 29 others at one of its headquarters in the city and 12 more people at a branch of state security in attacks that began early in the morning, said the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Syrian state television reported that clashes had rocked the districts of al-Ghouta and al-Mohata, where the two targets were located, before three suicide bombers detonated their explosives at each place.

It said that the attacks had killed 32 people including General Hassan Daaboul, the head of the military security branch.

The jihadist rebel alliance Tahrir al-Sham said in a social networking post that five suicide bombers had carried out the attack but it stopped short of explicitly claiming responsibility.

"Five suicide bombers attacked two branches of state security and military security in Homs... thanks be to God," the group said in a statement on the Telegram social network.

Tahrir al-Sham was formed earlier this year from several groups including Jabhat Fateh al-Sham, which was formerly known as the Nusra Front and was al Qaeda's Syrian branch until it broke formal allegiance to the global jihadist movement in 2016.



Since it was formed, Tahrir al-Sham has fought other rebel groups, including some that fight under the banner of the Free Syrian Army, as well as a faction linked to Islamic State, in northwest Syria. It was critical of FSA groups for taking part in peace talks.

Islamic State, which on Friday carried out a suicide bombing near the town of al-Bab in northwest Syria, has also carried out attacks in Homs before.

Homs is under the control of the government of President Bashar al-Assad except for one district which is held by more moderate rebels.

Related Content

Palestinians pass by the gate of an UNRWA-run school in Nablus in the West Bank August 13, 2018
August 16, 2018
UNRWA says schools for Palestinians to open on time despite U.S. cut

By REUTERS