Egypt finds large stockpile of arms earmarked for Sinai jihadists

Security forces also arrested dozens of members of the Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis terrorist organization.

By JPOST.COM STAFF, REUTERS
October 15, 2014 06:59
2 minute read.
Egyptian soldiers

Egyptian troops take up positions in front of protesters. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Egyptian military forces operating in the Sinai uncovered a large cache of weapons near the border with Israel on Tuesday, according to Channel 2.

The weapons, which were discovered near the Egyptian side of Rafah, were earmarked for the radical jihadist group Ansar Bayit al-Maqdis, which in the past has launched rockets at Eilat. More recently, it has claimed credit for the beheading of Egyptian Beduins alleged to have spied for Israel.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


It is considered the largest stockpile of enemy weaponry to have been confiscated by Egyptian forces, according to Channel 2. Soldiers discovered five tons of explosives as well as rocket components.

The government of President Abdel Fatteh al-Sisi has waged a campaign to crack down on Islamist forces at war with the military since it engineered the ouster of Mohamed Morsi, the Muslim Brotherhood leader who won a democratic election.

Earlier on Tuesday, an Egyptian court recommended death sentences for seven men, including a prominent Islamist militant, charged with killing 25 policemen last year in an attack near the border with Israel, a judicial source told Reuters.

He said the court had referred the case to the Grand Mufti, Egypt's highest Muslim authority, whose opinion is typically sought on capital punishment but whose decision can be disregarded.

"The court decided by consensus to send the case to the Grand Mufti," he told Reuters.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


The high-profile militant, Adel Habara, was in custody, he said, but he could not immediately say where the others were.
The final ruling is due on Dec. 6, after the Mufti offers his opinion. It can be appealed.

The attack took place in August 2013 following the government's violent clearing of two protest camps in Cairo, where supporters of deposed Islamist president Mohamed Mursi had gathered to demand his reinstatement.

Sisi now faces a growing Islamist insurgency in the lawless Sinai Peninsula adjoining Israel and the Gaza Strip.

Thousands of Brotherhood supporters have been rounded up in Sisi's crackdown and hundreds have since been sentenced to death. Liberal activists have also been suppressed by Sisi, with many of the leading lights of the 2011 popular uprising also facing trial for breaking a law that seeks to curb protests.

More than 500 people, mostly police and soldiers, have been killed across Egypt in Islamist militant attacks since last summer, according to government statistics.

Officials have also expressed concern about fighters crossing Egypt's western border from Libya, where militant violence and factional chaos has ticked up noticeably this year.

Sisi's government does not differentiate between radical Islamist groups based mainly in the Sinai and the Brotherhood, which maintains it is a peaceful organization and denied any connection with recent anti-state violence.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

A Kurdish Peshmerga fighter looks down the road to Makhmur
September 21, 2018
A year after referendum, Kurds in Iraq face Iran and US powerbrokers

By SETH J. FRANTZMAN