Egyptian military: Mubarak under house arrest in Sharm

Statement marks first mention of house arrest by ruling military council; denies former president, family have left Egypt; are still in Sinai.

By JPOST.COM STAFF, REUTERS
March 29, 2011 09:02
1 minute read.
Former Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak

Former Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak 311 Reu. (photo credit: REUTERS/Tony Gentile)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Deposed Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak and his family have been placed under house arrest in his Sharm e-Sheikh home, Egypt's ruling military council said Monday in a brief statement.

"There is no truth to reports that former president Hosni Mubarak has left Egypt for Tabuk in Saudi Arabia," the statement said. "He is under house arrest, with his family, in Egypt."

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
Egypt committee charges Mubarak of killing protesters
Tantawi reportedly demands Mubarak return state funds

There had been no previous reference by the military council to Mubarak being under house arrest.

Last week, Egyptian newspaper reports said that a committee set up to investigate violence during demonstrations that toppled the regime had laid charges against the former president and interior minister for intentional murder of protesters.

The fact-finding committee submitted its charges to the Public Prosecutor's office, saying Mubarak as the head of the government was criminally responsible for the death of the protesters, Al Ahram state newspaper said last Wednesday.

The former Egyptian interior minister Habib al-Adli, who is also already facing trial for wasting public funds and money laundry, is accused of ordering police to open fire at demonstrators, the newspaper said.



Egypt has already arrested and is investigating high-ranking police officers for ordering the killing of demonstrators during the uprising against Mubarak.

Click for full Jpost coverage of 

turmoil in the Middle East

Related Content

July 19, 2018
Sources close to Netanyahu: Trump knew the Iran nuclear deal was bad

By HERB KEINON, MICHAEL WILNER