At least 32 people killed, 75 injured in Ankara car bombing

The explosion occurred less than a month after a car bomb attack in central Ankara killed 29 people. Kurdish militants claimed responsibility for the previous attack.

March 13, 2016 19:37
1 minute read.

Scene of car bombing in Ankara

Scene of car bombing in Ankara


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


At least 32 people were killed and 75 injured in what appeared to be a suicide car bombing in the Turkish capital Ankara on Sunday, a senior security official said.

Gunfire was also heard after the explosion while ambulances rushed to the area officials said. Smoke could be seen rising above the area from a distance 2.5 km away, a Reuters witness said. The blast occurred near the central Guven Park, which adjoins a major transportation hub.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

The explosion occurred less than a month after a car bomb attack in central Ankara killed 29 people. Kurdish militants claimed responsibility for that attack.

On February 18, at least 29 people were killed and over 60 wounded in the administrative heart of the city when a vehicle laden with explosives detonated as military buses passed near the armed forces' headquarters, parliament and government buildings.

The Turkish military condemned what it described as a terrorist attack on the buses as they waited at traffic lights.

Initial findings suggest the outlawed Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) or an affiliated group was responsible, a security official said.

"According to initial findings, it seems that this attack has been carried out either by the PKK or an affiliated organization," the official told Reuters.

Turkish security authorities identified the suicide bomber who carried out the Ankara blast as Salih Necar, a Syrian national who was a member of the Kurdish YPG and entered Turkey as a refugee.

Following the attack, Turkish intelligence prohibited spreading information related to the blast and to Salih Necar on social networks, which it also did after the terror attack near the Sultan Ahmed in January.

The Turkish establishment alleges that the YPG committed the Ankara blast in order to force Turkey to stop shelling the Kurdish militias in Syria. The fact that the political wing of the PKK, the HDP, refused on Thursday to sign a joint statement of all Turkish parties condemning the Ankara attacks only reinforces the Turkish suspicions.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

A demonstrator holds picture of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi during a protest in front of Saudi
October 16, 2018
Trump sends Pompeo to Riyadh over Khashoggi; Saudis may blame official