Gunmen kidnap, release two US tourists in Sinai

Egyptian Security sources: Two American women are kidnapped in apparent attempt to hold them for ransom.

By REUTERS
February 4, 2012 14:02
1 minute read.
A view Egypt's Sinai peninsula

Sinai 311. (photo credit: Reuters)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

CAIRO - Two American women kidnapped by gunmen in Egypt's Sinai Peninsula on Friday were released into army custody a few hours later, security sources said.

The gunmen in the isolated desert region had apparently been seeking a ransom, but the security sources declined to discuss the terms of the release.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


However, a Beduin source said the authorities had agreed to a demand to free four fellow tribesmen from police custody in exchange for the two tourists.

Security in Sinai has deteriorated in the year since president Hosni Mubarak was overthrown in a popular uprising. South Sinai's Red Sea coast is a major Egyptian tourism hub, and the kidnapping is yet another blow to an industry that has been devastated by Egypt's political turmoil.

The two tourists had been among a party of five traveling from Saint Catherine's monastery in central Sinai to the resort of Sharm e-Sheikh when a vehicle carrying men armed with machine guns stopped their small bus, the security sources said.

The gunmen first took the tourists' money and valuables and then, as an apparent afterthought, grabbed the two women, forced them into their vehicle and fled into the mountains, the security officials said.

Two army and police search parties had gone into the area to try to track them down, the officials said.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


Beduin in the Sinai, who complain of neglect and discrimination by the authorities in Cairo, have attacked police stations and blocked access to towns to show their discontent and press for the release of fellow tribesmen from prison.

Last month, Beduin seized 50 German and British tourists whose coach accidentally crossed a roadblock they had set up as a protest against the governor of South Sinai.

Those tourists, who were also on a trip to the monastery, were released a few hours later.

Four armed men also attacked a hotel in an Egyptian Red Sea resort popular with Israeli holidaymakers last month before fleeing when police returned fire.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

People speak with Turkish soldiers in the center of Afrin
November 19, 2018
'25 killed' as Turkey battles Syrian fighters accused of 'plundering'

By SETH J. FRANTZMAN