Jordan arrests dozens over convoy attack

Majority of those arrested by police are Salafists, Jordanian official says.

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
January 31, 2010 16:34
1 minute read.
		Jordanian bombs squad members inspect the site w

Jordan israeli embassy car bomb amman. (photo credit: AP)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later



A Jordanian security official on Sunday said authorities arrested dozens of fundamentalist Muslims in connection with a failed bomb attack on a convoy of Israeli diplomats earlier in January.



Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Dozens have been detained in a police crackdown mostly on Salafists, extremists who seek to revive strict Muslim doctrine dating back to the era of the 6th Century Prophet Muhammad, the official added.



He said the crackdown was continuing across Jordan.



The Jordanian official declined to provide other details and insisted on anonymity because he was not allowed to speak to the media.



No one was killed or injured in the January 14 attack on an Israeli Embassy convoy heading home for the weekend. It was the first roadside bombing in Jordan and exposed a security gap for Israeli diplomats.



Sources close to Jordan's General Intelligence Department (GID) revealed that the failed attempt on the lives of Israeli diplomats in Jordan was apparently carried out on instructions from Teheran, and that the GID was investigating the possibility that the explosives used in the attack had been smuggled into the kingdom by Iranian diplomats.



JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


The attack itself was apparently carried out by local al-Qaida supporters who received money and explosives from Iran, the sources said.

Amir Mizroch and Yaakov Katz contributed to this report


Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

US fighter jets over Syria
November 18, 2018
Analysis: The U.S. is juggling too many agendas in eastern Syria

By SETH J. FRANTZMAN