Libya: Bodies scattered in Misrata streets after battle

Rebels say fighting among worst since beginning of two-month-old siege; medics report nearly 50 killed by Gaddafi forces in last 2 days.

By REUTERS
April 25, 2011 18:36
2 minute read.
Rebel fighters in Libya

Rebel fighters in Libya 311 (R). (photo credit: REUTERS/Goran Tomasevic)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

ALGIERS - Bodies lay scattered in Libya's rebel-held third city of Misrata and medics struggled to cope with the wounded on Monday after some of the bloodiest fighting of a two-month-old siege, rebels and residents said.

Following an intensive burst of shelling overnight, people emerged from homes after daybreak to scenes of devastation where Muammar Gaddafi's forces had pulled back from the city under cover of blistering rocket and tank fire.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
Libyan official: NATO tried to assassinate Gaddafi
Behind front-lines, Libyan rebels escalate media war

Medics said more than 20 people were killed in fighting on Sunday and 28 on Saturday. A rebel spokesman put the death toll even higher.

Three corpses were charred beyond recognition from the overnight shelling. A 10-year-old boy was killed as he slept. But many shells fell on waste ground, residents said. They said the bombardment stopped when NATO planes flew over.

"Bodies of Gaddafi's troops are everywhere in the streets and in the buildings. We can't tell how many. Some have been there for days," said Mohammed Ibrahim, a resident whose cousin was killed at the weekend. He was speaking by phone.

Gaddafi's forces said they were pulling back from Misrata late last week to hand over to local tribal forces, saying that NATO strikes had taken a toll on the soldiers.



Rebels claimed victory prematurely on Saturday.

Within hours, Misrata suffered some of the fiercest fighting of a siege in which hundreds of civilians have been killed and which has made the city a symbol of resistance for Gaddafi's foes.

Misrata was the only major western city still in rebel hands and if Gaddafi's troops are pushed back from there, it would be a significant setback for them.

Residents said the loyalist forces had now been pushed from Tripoli Street, center of the recent battles, to the outskirts of the city, from where they were shelling occasionally when NATO planes were not around.

But residents were not sure the army had gone for good.

At Misrata's main hospital, doctors struggled to treat scores of wounded.

A rebel spokesman, Sami, said the humanitarian situation was worsening rapidly.

"It is indescribable. The hospital is very small. It is full of wounded people, most of them are in critical condition," he told Reuters by phone.

"The quantity of food available in the city is also decreasing. The state of the city is deteriorating because it has been under siege for about two months."

Click for full Jpost coverage of turmoil in the Middle East

Related Content

Muslim pilgrims circle the Kaaba and pray at the Grand mosque ahead of annual Haj pilgrimage in the
August 20, 2018
Muslims at hajj blame Arab disunity for Jerusalem embassy move

By REUTERS