Morocco dismantles terror network

24 suspects were allegedly preparing to fight in Iraq, Afghanistan.

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
April 26, 2010 19:22
1 minute read.
Terror suspect is led away.

Terror suspect 311. (photo credit: ASSOCIATED PRESS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Moroccan security services dismantled a cell of 24 suspected terrorists with ties to al-Qaida who are believed to have been plotting killings and attacks and preparing to fight in Iraq and Afghanistan, the official news agency said Monday.

The suspects were rounded up in recent days after some members of the alleged cell assaulted a police officer in the city of Casablanca, Morocco's economic capital, the MAP news agency said.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


The suspects "were preparing to commit murders and acts of sabotage in the country, including against security services and foreign interests in Morocco," MAP said, quoting a statement from the Interior Ministry.

Four of those arrested had already served prison time on terror-related charges, the agency said. Some of the men were being interrogated by a prosecutor, it said.

The Interior Ministry said some cell members were getting ready to head to Iraq and Afghanistan to battle foreign troops there. Other suspects were on the verge of joining Islamist militants in Somalia and in the Sahara and Sahel desert regions, where an al-Qaida offshoot known as al-Qaida in the Islamic Maghreb, or AQIM, has been increasingly active in recent months.

AQIM is accused of kidnapping a French national and his Algerian driver in Niger last week.

A tourism haven and a strong Western ally, Morocco has stepped up efforts to crack down on suspected terrorists since a string of suicide bombings killed at least 45 people in Casablanca in 2003. Dozens of people have been arrested since and several hundred suspects await trial on terror-related charges.

Related Content

A Syrian soldier is seen standing in the Nasib border crossing with Jordan in Deraa, Syria July 7, 2
August 15, 2018
Jordan vows to eradicate terrorism after deadly standoff

By TERRANCE J. MINTNER & DIMA ABUMARIA/THE MEDIA LINE