'Mubarak's health continues to deteriorate'; trials go on

Former Egyptian president's condition worsens as cancer spreads throughout his body; doctors say he is too weak for chemo, 'Al-Rai' reports.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
June 12, 2011 12:09
1 minute read.
Hosni Mubarak

Mubarak 311 Reuters. (photo credit: REUTERS/Amr Abdallah )

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Former Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak’s condition has deteriorated significantly in the past two days, as his resurgent colon cancer spread throughout his body, Kuwaiti newspaper Al-Rai reported on Sunday.

According to the report, Mubarak’s doctors considered him too weak for chemotherapy and instead planned to take the surgical route. He also drifted in and out of a comatose state over the past few days, and the length of his survival at this point was unknown, the report said.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
Egypt court sentences former minister to 30 years
Hosni Mubarak charged with murder in criminal court

Mubarak has been held in the hospital since April 13 when he suffered a heart attack during an interrogation concerning his role in the killing of demonstrators against his rule. Since then, he has been considered too sick to be moved to prison from his Sharm e-Sheikh residence.

At least 800 people died during 18 days of protests that toppled Mubarak, and more than 6,000 were injured by live ammunition, rubber bullets, water cannons and batons.

Upon hearing his charges, Mubarak, who was ousted from power in February, “was very sad and sorry because he did not imagine such accusations [as fraud and the killing of protesters].”

Mubarak’s lawyer Farid al-Deeb told CNN in an interview that the former president vehemently denied graft relating to public funds and ordering the killing of protesters in the revolution.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


Meanwhile, Mubarak’s two sons, Alaa and Gamal, were also referred to the criminal court on charges of graft relating to public funds and “premeditated killing,” which carries the death penalty in Egypt. Since their arrests, the brothers’ remands have been systematically extended, like their father’s.

Many of Mubarak’s other former ministers and friends have similarly been tried and convicted of various crimes since the government was overthrown.

Reuters contributed to this report.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

November 19, 2018
Iranian-backed Houthi forces in Yemen fire missile at Saudi coalition

By SETH J. FRANTZMAN