Al-Qaida-linked group claims Beirut bombing on Hezbollah stronghold

Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant release statement warning of further attacks.

By REUTERS
January 4, 2014 17:35
1 minute read.
A firefighter extinguishes a fire on a car at the site of an explosion in Beirut.

Firefighters at the scene of a blast in Beirut.. (photo credit: REUTERS/Hasan Shaaban )

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

BEIRUT- A statement in the name of the al-Qaida-linked militant group Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant claimed responsibility on Saturday for a suicide bombing in the Hezbollah stronghold of southern Beirut that killed at least five people two days ago.

The purported ISIL claim, which also warned of further attacks, came in a statement responding to an offensive against the group by rival forces in northern Syria over the last two days in which dozens of people have been killed.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


The statement said the fighting in Syria had been launched at a time when the Islamic State had "breached the borders and penetrated the security system of the Party of Satan in Lebanon" - an ironic reference to Hezbollah, whose name means Party of God in Arabic.

ISIL said it had "struck its stronghold in the so-called security zone in southern suburbs of Beirut on Thursday ... in the first small instalment of a heavy account that awaits these shameless criminals".

If confirmed, it would be the first time that ISIL had claimed responsibility for an attack in Beirut, which has suffered a wave of bombings since last summer, mostly targeting Hezbollah and its allies.

Two suicide bombers struck the Iranian embassy in southern Beirut in November in an attack claimed by the al-Qaida-linked Abdullah Azzam Brigades, whose leader died in a Lebanese military hospital on Saturday.

The army said Thursday's attack had been carried out by a suicide bomber identified through DNA tests as Qutaiba Mohamad al-Satem. Lebanese media said Satem was a 19-year-old from Wadi Khaled, in north Lebanon close to the Syrian border.

Related Content

August 15, 2018
Nasrallah: We're stronger than the IDF, will soon be victorious in Syria

By JULIANE HELMHOLD