Syrian Court sentences 6 Syrians for fomenting separatism

By
February 4, 2008 15:21

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

A Syrian court has convicted six citizens for fomenting separatism and sentenced them to between two and 10 years in prison, a local human rights group said Monday. The National Organization for Human Rights in Syria said in a statement e-mailed to The Associated Press that the State Security Court sentenced the six Syrians on Sunday. Hamid Suleiman Mohammad and Adnan Me'mesh, two Kurds from the northern city of Aleppo, were each initially sentenced to five years in jail, but the terms were increased to 10 years because of additional crimes, the rights group said, without providing details. Two other Kurds from Aleppo were sentenced Sunday to seven years in prison, the group said, adding that the four Kurds were also convicted of attacking security forces at a demonstration last year in Aleppo where they were arrested. The court sentenced Abdul-Razak Trabilsi and Hassan al-Jabiri to two years in prison and also convicted them of belonging to an extremist group. However, the two men were released Monday because their sentences had been backdated to the day they were arrested, the rights group said.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Saudi blogger Mahmoud Saud in the Knesset on Monday with Avi Dichter (l), the head of the Knesset Fo
July 22, 2019
Saudi blogger attacked in Old City for 'normalizing' ties with Israel

By HERB KEINON, ZACHARY KEYSER

Cookie Settings