US: Fmr. Syrian VP's claims warrant investigation

By
January 4, 2006 02:42
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

The Bush administration urged UN investigators Tuesday to look into an allegation by a former Syrian vice president that President Bashar Assad had threatened former Lebanese Prime Minister Rafik Hariri several months before Hariri was assassinated. The allegation was made last week by former Vice President Abdul-Halim Khaddam, who left Syria several months ago. Khaddam said Assad warned Hariri months before his assassination last year that he would "crush whoever attempts to overturn our decision" to extend the term of Lebanon's pro-Syrian president. Referring to Khaddam's allegation, State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said, "I think his remarks warrant further investigation" by the United Nations. Mehlis already has implicated senior Syrian officials in Hariri's assassination. Syria has dismissed the charges as unfounded.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

The aftermath of an Iranian ballistic missile strike on the Koya headquarters of the KDP-I Iranian o
November 15, 2018
Senior IRGC commander: Israeli agent killed in September strikes on Kurds

By ANNA AHRONHEIM