Amidror to oversee Beduin’s settlement

Amid Beduin trepidation, Netanyahu shifts responsibility from Prower, who worked 2 years on a program for Beduin settlement.

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF
June 22, 2011 15:22
1 minute read.
MUHAMMAD HUWASHLE, spokesperson for Kasr al-Sir

Beduin village 311. (photo credit: Courtesy)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Following controversy surrounding Public Policy Department head Ehud Prower’s program for resettling the Beduin in the Negev, Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu has transferred responsibility for solving the Beduin issue to National Security Council chief Ya’acov Amidror.

Beduin groups expressed skepticism over the appointment, fearing Amidror’s purported right-wing views, Israel Radio reported.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
Peres now ‘sheikh’ after visit to Negev Beduin town
First solar field to be launched in Arava's Kibbutz Ketura

The task of formulating policy for the nation’s Beduin population, which has undergone a decadeslong process of moving from a nomadic lifestyle to a settled one, had been under the control of Public Policy Department head Ehud Prower.

Prower tried to implement the decisions regarding Beduin property and settlement that were formulated in the 2008 Committee for the Regulation of the Beduin Settlements in the Negev report. Headed by retired Judge Eliezer Goldberg, the report called on the government to recognize some 46 villages with 62,000 Beduin.

Prower worked on the program for nearly two years, with the help of dozens of of consultants, Israel Radio said. However, the plan, when published, caused a stir among right-wing MKs.

According to the program, Beduin would receive nearly 200,000 dunams of land, along with compensation for property they would not be granted – a sum amounting to billions of shekels.

But Omer Regional Council head Pini Badesh said the program would be impossible to implement, and expressed concern that the solution to the Beduin land issue would remain postponed, Israel Radio said.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


The Council for Unrecognized Beduin Communities and Beduin rights groups welcomed the cancellation of the plan because, according to the groups, it had sought to transfer nearly 30,000 Beduin and and give them only half of the land they lawfully deserved.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Riot
August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night

By DANIEL K. EISENBUD