Boy who nearly drowned in Kinneret passes away

Wave of drownings continues Sunday • 10-year-old dies near Zichron; 4-year-old recovers.

August 6, 2012 03:18
1 minute read.
DAVID MEITAV with father

DAVID MEITAV with father 370. (photo credit: Western Galilee Government Hospital)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

A four-year-old boy who lost consciousness in the waters of Lake Kinneret (the Sea of Galilee) on Saturday died at Emek Medical Center in Afula on Sunday.

Police have opened an investigation into suspicions of negligence on the part of his parents and the lifeguard on duty at the beach.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

The boy arrived with his family from Givatayim at the Kinneret beach on Saturday, and wandered into the lake on his own.

According to an initial police investigation, the parents noticed the boy was gone several minutes after he vanished, and alerted the lifeguard.

The guard located the boy floating in the water and administered CPR until paramedics arrived.

Paramedics rushed the youngster to the children’s intensive care unit at Poriya Hospital near Tiberias, and managed to revive his pulse en route. He was later taken to Emek Medical Center.

Meanwhile, two boys aged 10 entered the Mediterrenean Sea at Habonim Beach, near Zichron Ya’acov, and became stranded in the waters. Emergency services retrieved the boys, and tried to revive one who showed no signs of life. The attempts were unsuccessul and paramedics declared the boy dead. His friend is in fair condition.

Meanwhile, a four-year-old boy from Or Akiva, hospitalized in critical condition after a near-fatal drowning in the pool of a guest house in the Western Galilee, has been saved.

David Meitav was rushed on Wednesday to Nahariya’s Western Galilee Government Hospital, where he was attached to a respirator and deeply sedated. The hospital reported on Sunday that his condition had improved greatly and that he had been able to get out of bed. Medical tests showed that he was gradually returning to normal. Hadas said that as David regained consciousness on the 15th of Av, the family decided to make that his “new birthday” to celebrate every year.

His parents, Nadav and Hadas, haven’t left his beside since the accident.

Hospital director-general Dr. Masad Barhoom, who visited the family several times during the past few days, said there has been an increase of drownings and near-drownings and other preventable accidents in his area since the school vacation began.

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night