Condition of teen injured in Hamas bus attack worsens

16-year-old Daniel Viflic's condition upgraded to extremely critical at Beersheba hospital, following anti-tank missile attack.

April 12, 2011 12:27
1 minute read.
Soldiers walk past the damaged bus on April 7.

Gaza bus 311 Reuters. (photo credit: REUTERS/Baz Ratner)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


The condition of Daniel Viflic, the 16-year-old boy injured in the anti-tank missile attack on a school bus in the Negev on last week, has worsened, according to a statement released by Beersheba's Soroka Medical Center on Tuesday. The boy's condition was upgraded to extremely critical and life-threatening.

Viflic suffered severe head trauma and was artificially respirated while unconscious after an anti-tank missile fired from the Gaza Strip struck his school bus in the Negev last Thursday.

Defense officials: Conflict with Hamas likely to escalate
Condition of injured boy in bus attack remains critical

The missile, which was fired by Hamas terrorists, hit the bus moments after most of the children got off, while it was driving near Kibbutz Saad, about 2.5 k.m. from Gaza. Only two people were on the bus when it was hit – the driver, who was lightly injured in the leg, and Viflic, who was en route to visit his grandmother. The bus driver is a friend of the family.

Israel's southern region has been barraged by more than 120 rockets and mortars in recent weeks. On Monday, a UN-brokered cease-fire went into effect, but the quiet remains shaky. IDF officials presume the truce will be short-lived and soldiers along the border remain on high alert.

“We succeeded in postponing a large-scale conflict with Hamas but that conflict is likely inevitable,” one senior officer said on Monday.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night


Cookie Settings