Egged driver convicted of indecent assault of girl

Driver also convicted of falsely imprisoning 17-year-old girl on bus.

March 26, 2012 15:02
1 minute read.
An Egged bus [illustrative]

Egged bus 311. (photo credit: Ariel Jerozolimski [file])


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


The Haifa District Court on Monday convicted a 42-yearold man from Kafr Manda in the Western Galilee on charges of indecent assault and false imprisonment, following an incident that took place on a bus in July 2010.

Egged bus driver Muhammad Zuabi assaulted a 17-year-old schoolgirl after she boarded his route 205 bus in Haifa, according to the indictment.

The girl asked Zuabi whether he could stop the bus for her in the Mercaz Hacarmel residential district of the city, where she could switch to another bus line to take her home. There was only one other passenger on the bus at the time, the indictment said.

However, when Zuabi reached the girl’s bus stop, he did not stop to let her disembark and drove on to the next stop, where the other passenger got off.

Zuabi then told the girl she was “beautiful,” the indictment said, and added that he had noticed how she had kissed her boyfriend at the bus stop.

According to the indictment, Zuabi then stopped the bus and sat down on a passenger seat, asking the girl to join him.

When she refused, Zuabi indecently assaulted her. Only after some time did he drive back to the girl’s neighborhood.

Judge Zaid Falah accepted the testimony of the complainant, and rejected that of Zuabi, who denied the charges against him. Zuabi’s testimony made “a bad impression [on the court],” the judge said.

Zuabi testified that when he missed the girl’s stop, she began shouting and swearing at him until he opened the bus doors. The girl then refused to disembark, so he drove on.

The girl told him she was too frightened to get off the bus, Zuabi said, and asked him to take her back to Ben-Gurion Street. He then offered to pay for a taxi for her.

He denied touching or kissing the girl.

Zuabi will be sentenced at a later date.

Following Zuabi’s conviction, Egged spokesman Ron Ratner said the driver had already been dismissed.

“At Egged, we will not tolerate these types of events, and so when we learned that the driver was summoned to a hearing and when we discovered the allegations against him had substance, he was immediately dismissed from his job,” Ratner said.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night