'Hamas 3' convicted after Red Cross office sit-in

Court finds Hamas MPs guilty of illegally residing in Israel, terrorist membership after 569 day sit-in to protest their arrest.

February 14, 2013 18:53
1 minute read.
from left to right: Khaled Abu-Arafeh, Ahmad Attoun, and Muhammad Totah give a press conference

Hamas 3. (photo credit: Melanie Lidman)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


The Jerusalem District Court on Thursday convicted two Hamas politicians who were holed up for a year-and-a-half at the east Jerusalem office of the International Committee of the Red Cross office of membership in a terrorist organization and illegally residing in Israel.

The two men, Khaled Abu Arafa and Muhammad Totah, were arrested on January 23, 2012, after spending 569 days living in the Red Cross office in the Sheikh Jarrah neighborhood.

Abu Arafa and Totah were elected to the Palestinian Legislative Council as representatives of Hamas in 2006.

The same day, then-interior minister Ronnie Bar-On revoked the men’s Jerusalem residency based on their membership in a terrorist organization.

After protracted court hearings as the politicians attempted to appeal the decision, the High Court of Justice denied them residency for the final time on June 20, 2010.

Fearing that their arrest and expulsion from Jerusalem was imminent, they informed the Red Cross that they wished to hold a sit-in protest on the premises to draw attention to their situation.

Their sit-in at the Red Cross compound began on July 1, 2010.

Hamas MP Ahmad Attoun also spent nearly 16 months in the Red Cross office with them but was arrested separately. Attoun, Abu Arafa and Totah held blue identification cards, which gave them Israeli residency but not citizenship.

The Red Cross denied at the time that it offered the politicians a haven.

The organization provided the politicians with a room inside the building where they could sleep and keep their belongings, a bathroom, electricity for their large protest tent, and a water cooler. Family members came daily to bring food and clothes.

Cecilia Goin, the Red Cross’s spokeswoman for Israel and the Palestinian territories, told The Jerusalem Post last year that the organization immediately made the police aware that the three men were staying on its property.

The Red Cross does not have diplomatic immunity, but police refrained from entering the compound.

According to the indictment, the men held frequent strategy meetings with other Hamas politicians and met with international leaders, distributed propaganda and held regular Friday prayers with large crowds at their protest tent, erected in the courtyard of the Red Cross building.

Now is the time to join the news event of the year - The Jerusalem Post Annual Conference!
For more information and to sign up,
click here>>

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night


Cookie Settings